- Developing and designing products to satisfy the requirements of existing and prospective clients. Using your knowledge of design and applying it to textiles & similar materials to achieve products that are ready to manufacture and to meet the technical and commercial requirements of the project.
- Using your technical knowledge, you will assist the sales team, working in parallel with the Team Leader and the Sales Executives, providing product development and pre-sales design to help attract and win orders.
- Preparing technical drawings and CAD files for the cutting department, and product manufacture in the factories. You will develop an understanding of the manufacturing tolerances and allowances required and will consider the impact of the method of manufacture on design and cost.
- The role will be responsible for driving innovation through the development of new products and the evolution of current products.
- You will interact with clients directly on matters of design and product development and will provide advice and recommendations to clients and colleagues, to achieve both the best product and commercial outcomes.
- The role requires a ‘Team player’ at our Chesterfield office integrating with a total of approx. 6 people in the immediate team. You will actively contribute to the day-to-day operations, problem solve, advise sewing machinists etc. You will become one of the go-to persons within the hierarchy. You will assist the Sales team and form part of a team between yourself, Sales and the Production Planner, all reporting to a Director.
- Training in textiles will be provided and immersion in the environment will build knowledge, for a person with an enquiring mind.
Product Design – Preparing technical drawings. To be the conduit between Customer, Sales Execs, Production Planning, and delivery.
Client Liaison – working with clients to develop and refine manufacturable products that meet the design requirements of the project.
Proactive contribution – actively seeking and recommending ways in which products could be designed or manufactured better, through the choice of materials, method of construction or other factors.
Team Player – contributing to the performance of the team through participation and knowledge, finding solutions to design and product challenges and becoming a source of reference for both clients and colleagues when considering the appropriate design solution.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- You will work within the development lifecycle, covering design, development, test, and delivery.
- Actively contributing to the dynamic of the SCS Sales Team providing support and expertise.
- Apply technical knowledge to help resolve technical & basic product design conundrums.
- Plan and prioritise personal design activities.
- Assist in the costing and time elements of production.
- Plan and implement business objectives in line with the strategy.
- Maintain and develop existing and new customers, optimising the quality of service, business growth and customer satisfaction.
- Respond to and follow up internal sales enquiries.
- Record, analyse, report, and administer per systems and requirements.
- Provide innovation and a desire to expand and develop products according to the market.
- Engage with customers, prospects, and potential clients to promote & advise on the supply of goods and services. (After Training)
- Perform against several measures of performance (KPI’s) and report weekly to the team and senior management on these.
- Qualification or equivalent experience in a CAD / Design field.
- Ability to use industry-standard 2D /3D CAD software.
- Experience in a client-facing / sales environment
- Experience in a related sector or business
- Experience in designing products in textiles or other flexible materials
- Experience in a comparable technical role would be advantageous
- Diploma of Higher Education (preferred)
- Drivers Licence (preferred)
- Confident design skills.
- Creative Flair.
- Communication skills with the ability to adapt the message and tone to suit different situations, including written oral and interpersonal.
- Ability to manage relationships with clients, prospects, suppliers, colleagues (subordinate and senior) effectively.
- Excellent personal and time management skills.
- Strong administrative skills with the ability to manage the successful completion of daily tasks concerning the sales functions of the business.
- Ability to manage and juggle competing priorities and deliver results to a deadline.
- Knowledge of CAD design tools
- Basic experience of working towards sales objectives.
- Excellent time management.
- Demonstrate leadership through action and being prepared to undertake any task that you would expect others to do.
- An agile mind capable of identifying and developing opportunities or nurturing others to do so.
- Possess a ‘Can do’ attitude with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work during core business hours on weekdays from our Chesterfield office, 08:30-17:00 (40hours per week).
- Be able to work with a degree of flexibility.
- Able to travel (drive) to meet clients, suppliers, and prospects on an infrequent basis, attend meetings and events required for the role.
Casual dress | Company pension | On-site parking
If you’d like to apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to Jodie Earl, HR Manager. Email email@example.com . For further information, please call 01246 472949